Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Day 2


First, thank you all for your wonderful comments, support, email, prayers, visits, food, etc...couldn't do this without you.

So Kelli calls me this morning at 6:15am and tells me that Sam had a rough night. Evidently he spent some time vomiting and had to have his sheets changed a few times. Unfortunately, Bear was not spared from the onslaught, so "Back-Up Bear" was needing to make an appearance today. Kelli asked me to please hurry up and get there as she had got no sleep.

So I'm hustling around, packing, slamming coffee, etc. and then I see that we'd received a few inches of the heaviest, wettest snow. So I go ahead and do a quick shovel and I'm off to the hospital.

When I arrived Kelli and the nurse were putting a new gown on Sam and they informed me that breakfast was on the way. We were able to get two bites of oatmeal down as well as some sips of apple juice before he went to sleep. Kelli told me that after he vomited they had to put him back on a narcotic I-V drug but that we could try some Tylenol with Codeine later. He no longer had the catheter and that I was going to get to show him how "airplane pilots do it" with a jug.

Kelli left for home for some much needed and deserved rest. Sam was restless, so I asked for the medicine. The nurse told me that Kelli had had a hard time getting him to take it during the night so she was leaving it to me. I tried to give him some and he turned into a karate expert; deflecting and blocking every attempt I made. Even when I tried to give it to him in his sleep he woke up and went Chuck Norris on me!

The nurse wound up giving him a non-narcotic I-V pain killer at 12pm.

My folks arrived and Kelli's mom and grandma showed up shortly after; so I went down to eat in cafeteria. No sooner had I sat down then my dad arrives to tell me that they'd moved him to a real room, out of the PICU!! Yay!

I got up there as quick as i could, and he was uncomfortable, moving around, and actually asking to "go out there" (the hallway). He asked for me so I put him in my lap and that didn't work either. Turns out he just needed to pee, and boy did he let loose. After that we had about a minute or two of "old Sam"; smiling, laughing, and he even cracked a few jokes.

He slept off and on for a few hours, and as of this writing he has not been back in his bed since he went to my lap. He's spent time with Gigi Cheryl and most importantly, Mom.

He has eaten a few blueberries, part of a banana, part of a cookie, and some chocolate ice cream; and has held everything down.

Speaking of mom: around 2:30 Kelli called to check on us and to tell us that she would be at the hospital soon. She would have been there sooner but she had had some issues throughout the day.

After she got home she laid down, but the phone kept ringing, so after a while she shut the ringer off and tried to get some sleep. Soon after that she heard a knock at the door and when she opened it, there was city employee there and asked her if "that was her car", pointing to the street.
Evidently, after she parked and went inside, the car had slid out into the street, almost hit my Jeep parked on the other side, and was blocking traffic. So she moved the car, visited with some neighbors, and then returned home to lay down. Shortly after that her alarm went off. She decided that she needed to actually sleep for a while so she turned it off and got some much deserved z's.

Thanks again for all the support. We seem to be "seeing the end of the trees in the forrest".

We were told today that Sam will get his dressing removed tomorrow. He'll also be fitted for his new helmet, and that we might be discharged as early as Friday.

Until next time,
Peace.

4 comments:

  1. amazing. and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam you are amazing!! You looked so peaceful as you slept in Gigi's lap today when we stopped by to see you. Daddy even looked pretty well rested considering everything!I don't blame you for not liking the pain meds. I know they can make you feel pretty yucky when they are supposed to make you feel better!!! Hang in there SuperSam...
    we love you. Nancy and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. so was your funny story about shoveling that kelli's car had slid into the road? poor woman. all she wanted was a couple hours rest! ha. SO excited for tomorrow night! woo hoo!!! are you going to paint/decorate sam's cranial helmet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are going ok. I know this was a much awaited day. Am thinking about all three of you and love you all. Kerry

    ReplyDelete